Monday, May 3, 2010

Fighting Game Music! (part 1)

The recent release of Super Street Fighter IV has rejuvenated my interest in the fighting genre, so I thought I'd focus on fighting game music this time around. Enjoy!

Street Fighter Series

The original Street Fighter has pretty unremarkable music, but the sequel gave each character a theme that not only matched their ethnicity very well, but was also well composed.

Out of the original 8 World Warriors, I always liked Guile's theme the best.



I'm also a fan of Balrog's flashy theme, especially this remix.



But in my opinion, few songs in the series are as well known and iconic as Ken's song.



Street Fighter III more or less ditched having ethnic sounding songs for all the characters and went for a jazzy soundtrack with some hiphop and techno thrown in. Your mileage may vary, but I like it.



Street Fighter 3 was really hit and miss with it's character designs. Dudley is one of the better ones.





Street Fighter 4 has alright music. The theme songs kinda sounds like it was done by a late 90's boy band. They got rid of most of the individual character themes and had stage themes instead. I don't care for most of them, but I do like the vocoder-riffic theme for the overpass stage.



Super SF4 brought back the character themes, and most of theme are remixed really well. I actually like Hakan's theme, especially the version they play in the trailer that introduced him. Looks like eets time to oil up!



Akuma's remix is pretty good too.



Finally, rounding out things is Ryu's theme from IV, which I think is the best rendition of this song.



That was a lot for just one game series...check back next time for King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, Tekken and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment